Thursday, August 25, 2011

1st day of Kindergarten

I can't believe how fast time flies. My firstborn is embarking on the first big adventure of her lifetime! From now until she's in her 20's she will be going to school and time will be marked by weekends and holidays. It's one of those bittersweet moments of being a parent. We have, and raise, our children for these days, our ultimate goal is to encourage them and give them the wings to go out on their own, but our gut instinct is to want to hold them close, cuddle them and force them to stay by your side. Letting go is never easy and I pray that I can always see the joy in these moments rather than the loss. One of those joyful moments I'm focusing on is asking about her day and hearing her stories as she makes new friends. How I wish I could follow her and watch her interact, but that really isn't the same is it? I also realize there are so many parents who dream for this day, and it will never come. How much worse is a dream broken then my unreasonable fear of sending her off in the world "alone".  I've also seen that even in the 2 days she's been in school there is a change in her attitude and the way she holds herself. She's maturing right before my eyes! There is a sense of independence about her that wasn't there on Monday. It's as if she's gone off now and realized she can survive on her own, and she likes it. So, while part of me wants to cry at the loss of my baby, I choose to smile, laugh, and dream of the future stories and experiences we'll both have along this new "adventure"!


Getting her just as she is waking up on the big day! Already a smile on her face!



 Her teacher Mr. Clemons. So far he seems like a really great teacher and I've heard great things about him.
 Her cubby
 Her desk






No comments: